The basis for the future: Innovations and investments
In 2004 Eberle added a new hall, creating new capacities for metal band saw production. New bell annealers in 2006 enabled the company to achieve greater quality and profitability in strip steel production. In 2007 Eberle introduced its own automatic surface inspection system for refining strip steel products. In 2010 Eberle bought up MHPS Handschuh GmbH & Co. KG, expanding its production capacities for carbide-tipped band saw blades. An additional laser beam welding plant in 2013 further enlarged capacities. Finally in 2014 the company modernized its IT-based business processes with a new ERP system.
The Greiffenberger era
In 1981 Heinz Greiffenberger bought the remaining part of Eberle from SKF and within a short time returned the company to profit. He invested in modern facilities and tapped into new export markets. By 1986 Eberle was proud to employ 340 staff despite a rational, machine-based production in place.
Success with SKF
After the Second World War it took years before the destroyed mill was up and running again. Production only finally resumed in 1948. In 1954 SKF incorporated the family company into the Swedish Group. With SKF exports grew and Eberle built a new hall for steel production. Short of space the company moved its fretsaw production to Schwabmünchen in 1970, and at the same time Eberle suffered a downturn. The spring production was sold to SKF in 1981.
Times of crisis and recovery
Though the period between the world wars was full of crises Eberle was able to expand its staff to 1,000. The company held what was effectively a monopoly in pocket watch springs in Germany. By the time of its centenary in 1936 the company enjoyed flourishing exports and an excellent reputation worldwide.
Years of growth
In 1871 Eberle with its 140 employees generated a turnover of 50,000 Reichsmarks. The company now had its own file cutting shop and invested in new facilities with a pattern-making shop. In the same year Eberle introduced a voluntary benefits fund for its staff. Today Eberle still has its own company pension scheme. In 1883 the first experiments were made with cold rolling, and two years later the company was operating its own cold rolling mill. Likewise in 1885 the company acquired a mill in Pfersee so that it could use water power, and it built a second rolling mill there. There were 300 employees working at this mill.
Early years: The fretsaw factory
Norbert Eberle founded his fretsaw factory in Augsburg in 1836. Within just 10 years he had 10 employees producing 720,000 fretsaws a year.